Author Topic: Reaffirming my belief in the evolution of America – OBERGEFELL v. HODGES  (Read 735 times)

Reid Bundonis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
While everyone is highlighting the final paragraph of the ruling, I believe this one is even more powerful and inspiring.

The nature of injustice is that we may not always see it in our own times. The generations that wrote and ratified the Bill of Rights and the Fourteenth Amendment did not presume to know the extent of freedom in all of its dimensions, and so they entrusted to future generations a charter protecting the right of all persons to enjoy liberty as we learn its meaning. When new insight reveals discord between the Constitution’s central protections and a received legal stricture, a claim to liberty must be addressed.

America grows and learns.  Each generation must experience its own epiphany and act on it to improve our nation and culture.  There was a time when slavery was acceptable.  There was a time when women could not vote.  There was a time when water fountains, lunch counters, baseball, and buses were segregated.  The prevailing generations accepted these injustices as social norms.  Yet it was the responsibility of the next generation to see the flaws in those long held practices.  This is how we advance as a nation.  This is how we evolve to not remain blindly stuck in the past, doomed to repeat the mistakes, prejudices, and shortsightedness of our forefathers.  It may take time, but America learns from its mistakes.

It has been a long time since I've felt pride in our government's ability to accomplish anything.  But the decision by the Supreme Court is a great advance for all in our nation, further advancing civil rights and continuing to strive to one day completely satisfy the foundation principle:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.