Author Topic: Nagios?  (Read 2585 times)

pixelpshr

• View Profile
Nagios?
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »
Hi Reid,
I'm wondering if you have set up Nagios on any of your Mac servers. I have the service running, but cannot log in to the web page.

I'm sure that the problem is related to the way htaccess is handled through the Mavericks /Library/Server/Web/Config/Sites/... configuration files.  I've created the htaccess.users and htaccess.group files in my nagios/etc directory. But, it seems like they are not being found and so the Nagios web page cannot figure out how to ask for authentication when accessing the page. The page renders saying "Logged in as ?" and doesn't show any of the system information.

I have looked for help on the Nagios forums, but OS X isn't a supported platform, much less OS X Server, so helpful information is really sparse over there.

Thanks,
Thom

OBTW, OS X is really frustrating with the way they hide certain directories, such as /usr/local, from the Finder GUI. I did run the
   defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1
but the web page redirection GUI still won't show that directory. So, I had to edit the site configuration file manually.

Reid Bundonis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Nagios?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »
Sorry for the delay in replying.  This summer has exploded with work.

Nagios is a product I have not touched for a long time.  I think the last time I messed with it is when this article was published:  http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.21/21.12/Nagios/index.html.  I even found the printed copy of the magazine.

That was a long time ago.  It, might help, but much of the paths have changed.

Apple opted to hide the UNIX side to protect consumers from themselves.  I understand why they would obscure much of the root of the drive, but I still find it inexcusable that they hide the user's Library :)

pixelpshr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:58:41 AM »
No problem, Reid. Having work is a good thing. (Though I am still looking forward to that next book.  ;) )

Yes, the paths have changed around a lot since that article was published. The main differences were introduced by Server. Your book is the first (and still one of the very few) references I've found to help wend my way through this labyrinth.

Thanks again!
Thom

Reid Bundonis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 07:36:55 PM »
Very happy to hear about the first book.  The second one was so close and then I got slammed.  These past two weeks have been a blur.  However, I remain committed.  The reality is that I really need about 8 to 12 hours of time to just put the final touches on the second book.  I've simply not be able to find that time.  The summer project load that usually hits mid July to August started early this year and my whole crew is scrambling to keep up.  Good problem to have, right?

This coming week, while full, has some openings.  So once again, I am digging in.  Book 1 will get an update once Apple releases Server 3.2.  I've added a section on link aggregation since I've been doing nothing but that for the past few months and realized it was a glaring omission in a book called Foundation Services :)

So I look forward to having the second one out and hearing the feedback.  I've decided to leave a few topics out and add them in revisions.  It is funny.  Something that seems as simple as creating a user is really a complicated process with many, many variations.

pixelpshr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:11:05 PM »
Thanks for the news. I'm glad that you've got enough work to stay busy, but (sacrilege though it may be) I also hope that you're able to take some time off to decompress once in a while.

Regarding the OP. I did manage to get Nagios running on my OS X Server, but again it feels rather like a kludge. One recurring error message is related to the htpasswd files. The server logs spits out these messages every time a page loads:

Code: [Select]
mod_auth_apple: User nagiosadmin: authentication failure for "/nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi": Password mismatch according to checkpw, referer: http://www.thomdecarlo.com:82/nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi?hostgroup=all&style=hostdetail
It throws that for all of the cgi files, but it lets me display the page anyway. Am I supposed to use something other than htpasswd to create the htpasswd.users and htpasswd.groups files on OS X? (The mod_auth_apple has me confused here.)

Thanks again,
Thom