Author Topic: OD SERVER WITH AWS ACTIVEDIRECTORY  (Read 379 times)

Pierre

• View Profile
OD SERVER WITH AWS ACTIVEDIRECTORY
« on: November 14, 2016, 11:00:32 AM »
Hi Reid,
I finally managed to log into yours forum. The letters are inteligable and nobody nows this 42 joke even IF one has read the book..
I recently tried to fiddle around with Amazon webservices.
I run a El Cap server for a 5 person manufacturing team since 5 years. We have 4 Mini2013 and on 10.7 mini late 09 which I never managed to bind properly.. I just gave up and typed in all by hand.
The OD is also read by our filemaker server for login and the RADIUS for wifi.
I was thinking of putting our filemakerserver on an AWS share (newest hardware, 99,99 uptime, no Wind Server 12 cost....
But I would rather not have ACtivedirectory of the win12 server take over my OD installation. Is there a way the Amazon EC2 instance could read my OD share?
If you have any ideas I help would be appreciated.
Yours
Pierre

Ps
Sorry my ranting.. I looove you books.. but your forum login is just .....

Reid Bundonis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: OD SERVER WITH AWS ACTIVEDIRECTORY
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:49:26 PM »
Apologies for the forum chaos.  I was getting hit with so many automated bots that I had to do something to stem the tide.  I will look at that again.

As for your project, have you looked at Okta?  We've been doing some Okta integration for O365 deployments where OD remains a requirement of the LAN.  Or what about JumpCloud?  If you are using OD for only user names and passwords, then there is not much that OD is offering that a cloud LDAP can not replace.  Might be worth looking into.

It is funny that you are having these debates in a 5 person location.  We have a customer that is over 200 users and everything is still all Apple based.  Xserves are still the file servers with a bunch of minis creeping in.  They are still on 10.6.8 if you can believe it.  As they say, it if ain't broke...  Anyway, we are at the point where OD needs repair and restructuring so we looked at all the options from OD to AD to cloud to hybrid solutions.  In the end, to stick with OD and use Okta in the middle seems to be the most affordable and flexible solution.  Time will tell if we got the right, but I guess we got the 10.6 deploy right.

Pierre

• View Profile
Re: OD SERVER WITH AWS ACTIVEDIRECTORY
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »
Hey Reid,
Thank you for your answer. Yeah..right... with 5 people you can really type all by hand.. But then.. I want to learn too. This is my company but I like to fiddle around. Actually I already upgraded to macOs... also totally unnecessary... but then.. Now I hope that I do not touch the darn thing for at least two years.
But my switch to AD would never happen. It is just something I was looking at because I tested AWS as a filemaker hosting thing.. Since they only offer Windows 12 Server with AD... I asked myself IF this AD would not ask my OD server here..
But hey.. you are right.. I am faaar away in investing in any new AD or Server or Hardware stuff.
Nice if you have a Server since 10.6.8 up running.. That's where you really create value for the customer..
Yours
Pierre