Author Topic: Multiple machine setup  (Read 350 times)

isthatyourbag

• View Profile
Multiple machine setup
« on: October 09, 2016, 04:33:21 PM »
Love your books. Reading then again and considering a changeā€¦

I have 2 machines running Server 5.1.x. Machine One handles mail; Machine Two handles file sharing, profile manager and open directory. They are currently on the same subnet.

I'm considering pushing profile manager to the Machine One as a security enhancement along with placing them on a different subnet. I'm bothered that it currently is "on the internet" with everything else. (I am using a router/firewall product.)

Will profile manager function on a different physical machine than the Open Directory?

Thanks for your thoughts, and when can we expect the Sierra versions?  ;)

Reid Bundonis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple machine setup
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:19:05 AM »
My apologies.  Took some time off this week so I've been asleep at the wheel. 

Glad the books are helping.

Deciding where to place your services on a multi-server deployment is always a challenge.  However, if you are protecting the devices behind a firewall and only forwarding required ports, you should be generally safe.  (Obviously there is always a threat but your must weigh the benefits against the risks.)

Profile Manager is a product that could be great with a few additional features.  For example, there is no replication, backup, or redundancy built into the product.  Also, unless I've missed something in the new release, Profile Manager must run on a device running as an OD Master.  I've not tried to run it on a Replica but will give it a shot over the weekend.  Who knows, maybe it will work.

I will admit, I am frustrated with the fragility of OD of late.  There are many conditions where a reboot will simply destroy OD.  And this really makes Profile Manager angry.

I am working on the Sierra updates but I am behind :(  Really got deep into the Xsan chapter and then Sierra changed a bunch.  Ah, so goes software.

isthatyourbag

• View Profile
Re: Multiple machine setup
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 04:11:59 PM »
Ay thoughts or comments are appreciated. I did a reinstall of my main file sharing server, the OD master. ( I got a paranoid thing going on and felt the need.  :( ). I put the Profile manager on the mail machine, and then couldn't get the Admin account to authenticate, while user accounts could. Thought I was down a dead end, and then I remembered I was using a machine admin account from the first machine. Duh.

Now I'm out of town for a few days and can't retest. We'll see what happens next week when I'm hands on again.