Author Topic: 10.9.2 is out - Book version 1.2 submitted for review  (Read 2106 times)

Reid Bundonis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
10.9.2 is out - Book version 1.2 submitted for review
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »
Apple just release 10.9.2.  An update to Server.app should not be far behind.  I've just submitted version 1.2 of Mavericks Server – Foundation Services to Apple for review.  With a little luck, they will have this posted in a timely manner.

Version 1.2 has a handful of changes to better explain the use of RAID and also to give solutions to better monitor RAIDs.  I also added some content on restoring the old port 311 Server Manager service and a better script for backing up your Open Directory database. 

Through 10.9.1 I still see instability with Open Directory.  Many, many oddities, including outright corruption and failure and also the mysterious "everything is gone" until I reboot.

Here is to greater stability in 10.9.2.

The second book can now be my sole focus.  Progressing steadily. 

Damon

• View Profile
Re: 10.9.2 is out - Book version 1.2 submitted for review
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 06:35:52 AM »
Pleased to hear it!

Just downloaded and started your book, identified much with your opening chapter. I too am a dinosaur – at 37 years old!

Was filled with hope when I rolled out 10.4 Server at my previous employer, allowing Windows and Mac clients to share a common OpenDirectory/Samba domain, file sharing as well as Mail services. A server that is still going (just), I might add.

Now cross-platform directory services aren't provided by OS X Server, and increasingly everything is being moved to The Cloud. The web development team at my present employer wants us to move over to Google for…well, everything. I am a fuddy-duddy for not wanting to trust everything in our business to Cloud services run by huge internet behemoths. *sigh*

Looking forward to updates and subsequent books!

Reid Bundonis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 08:15:14 AM »
Thank you for the kinds words and the commiseration.  I've learned to accept AD as the core of the environment for most deployments but schools, agencies, and other all Mac locations still thrive on OD.  Were needed, the dual directory deployment model still works.

But the cloud trend does make us "old guys" (I'm 42 so we are in the same range) uncomfortable.  We were a huge Kerio shop, having it deployed at many many customers ranging from 10 person shops to 400 person publishers.  And then we were hit with hurricanes, devastating snow storms, and long power outages (in New Jersey/New York).  This highlighted the risk of self hosting and single points of failure.  In the last 6 months I've been systematically convincing customers to shutdown their Kerio machines in favor of externally hosted solutions.  In the end, I understand this is a better solution but it is yet another service removed from the data center.

However, even with mail external, customers still have many single points of failure at their location.  But the key product that overcomes this is the iPhone.  Now, even with power and Internet loss, you can still get your email as long as the cellular network remains active.  And this is the lifeline to business.

We have few customers who have made the jump to Box and other online storage services.  The good news (for us) is that it really only works for office document workflows.  Content creation still requires local file services based on file size.

And I hear you on Google.  I like them for search and maps.  But everything else I have a deep seated fear that they are indexing everything.  I live a rather boring life but I still don't want to be part of a corporation's grand demographic profiling system.

anog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »

Through 10.9.1 I still see instability with Open Directory.  Many, many oddities, including outright corruption and failure and also the mysterious "everything is gone" until I reboot.

Do you have any solutions to this "instability?" In the last year I've had Open Directory corrupt itself at least 5 or 6 times. All I get is "looking for replica" when all I have ever had is one master with two lousy users. Rebooting does NOT restore it. I have had a successful Time Machine restore now and then, but usually not. I have an OD archive, but no ability to use it. Its usually clean install time, but I did backup the server to an image like you suggested. I never thought of that. Fantastic suggestion.

Reid Bundonis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »
Without revealing too much about unreleased stuff, I can say that the near future is looking better.  I believe that 10.9.2 and Server 3.0.3 were released to address the SSL/TLS security issue a little ahead of schedule.  That being said, there is more to come from Apple that should provide great stability.

In the meantime, I have become militant about backing up customer OD databases.  And yes, I've had to perform restorations.  This does not make me happy so I've passed this displeasure on to Apple in the form of numerous bug reports.  :)